Yesterday I received notification that my quilt "Grotto" was accepted at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. This is great news, as I've been sort of out of the quilt show loop for the past few years. Here's a picture:
"Grotto" is a difficult quilt to photograph (the slides came out better than this). I printed out panels of fabric and sewed them together. I didn't have my pigment ink printer when I made the top, so this was made using dye based inks. The border is hand dyed. I designed the fabric by scanning in two tiny (maybe 1 inch by 2 inch?) fragments of a painting at super high resolution. I upped the saturation and manipulated the images considerably before coming up with this arrangement.
Here's a detail shot. That's a bobbin on the right to give a sense of scale.
Something I remembered (once again) as I quilted this was that I need to streamline my process. I have a tendency to use lots of different types/brands of threads. This may get me the palette of thread that I want, but it means readjusting the tension every time I change thread.
After my post about the horses I realized that it would've been much more exciting if I'd also had on the spot photos of the horses, the construction guys, etc. Melody is really good about that sort of thing, I'm just not there yet.
I haven't posted for a few days because I've been doing things that aren't very blogworthy, like starting to clean out the basement. This is serious business. We have a spacious, finished basement that's evolved into the place where stuff is shoved when people are coming over. The carpet is a vintage 1988 dark teal color that sucks light into it like a black hole, but otherwise the only things lacking are organization and proper lighting. I made significant progress yesterday, added and abeited by this
I'm officially endorsing this bubble machine! We've had other bubble machines that were good, but this one really rocks. "Kids love it!"
There's been some ongoing knitting progress, but I'm waiting to finish the objects before showing them.