Monday, October 27, 2008

Last Dance

As always, autumn is spookily busy for me. I have manged to work on a few small pieces in the last few weeks, and made it through 3 of the 4 fall family birthdays!

This piece was just completed in time for the Piedmont Arts Association Invitational exhibit. I named it "Last Dance" because the photos used to make this quilt were taken in October and I was amazed that this butterfly was still around at that late date.



I detailed how I made the digital imagery in this post. I wrote another post about adding the appliqued leaves are here.


This detail image shows some of the quilting in the border. My intent was to add quilting that looked like fungi or leaf litter. As always, the free motion quilting is the most enjoyable part of quilt making for me and it feels like dancing.

The leaves are really starting to turn around here, and it's just beautiful. Tomorrow I'm heading to Houston for a brief sojourn at the Houston International Quilt Festival. I'm sure I'll spend some time hanging out by my quilt. If you see me be sure and say "Hi".

13 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Diane - "Last Dance" is beautiful! I particularly like your free-motion quilting on it - the swirls and curls give it a lovely feeling of motion. Thanks for posting about it on Quiltart.

pcoxdesign said...

WOW!! I love this piece! Amazing detail and quilting. Congrats on a wonderful piece.

Gerrie said...

I love this - beautiful. I want to try to do something like this with my pomegranate photos. I may e-mail you for some help!!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Your freemotion work is just amazing, Diane! I love this piece!

Jody said...

Oh Diane! This is so lovely I can't believe it! You are so talented! You will knock them out at the quilt show - have so much fun!

Norma Schlager said...

it is beautiful and your quilting is extraordinary!

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful piece and the quilting is awesome!

Sue Reno said...

Diane, this is a beautiful quilt with lyrical imagery-just wonderful! Have a great time Houston.

Anonymous said...

Loverly, thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Have fun at Houston! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

:) Linda

Anonymous said...

It's lovely, Diane!

Anonymous said...

p.s. We share a love of butterflies! When you have the time and desire, I have a lot of butterfly pictures on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Diane, this is the first time I have visited your blog. This piece is beautiful! I'll be back. Thanks for sharing.