Thursday, February 02, 2012

Foto/Fiber 2012, A Fundraiser for the American Cancer Society

Welcome to what is a very special blog post for me. Today I’m being featured on VirginiaSpiegel’s blog due to my participation in this year’s Fiber Art For A Cause fundraiser. Over the last several years Virginia has spear headed a fund raising effort for the American Cancer Society. With the help of the fiber art community more than $200,000 has been donated to the ACS!!

Virginia came up with a wonderful twist this year. By donating on February 15 or 16, 2012, you will receive a gorgeous mounted photo by Virginia A. Spiegel, Karen Stiehl Osborn, or Cynthia Wenslow, PLUS a “fiber bonus” by one of 36 participating artists.

ALL the details are here.

To whet your appetite, here’s peek at the three fiber bonuses that I’m donating.
Each bonus will contain one of these fabric postcards:

Each postcard is a digital collage, printed on fabric and machine quilted
 


A closeup of the center postcard
 I’m also including a rainbow of fabric I've created.


Three hand dyes!
The top two pieces are 1/3 yard each, the blue one is 11"x13"

A piece I designed in photoshop, using numerous layers of paintings and photographs, printed on fabric by Spoonflower:


This vibrant piece is about 14"x17"




And two of my all time favorite screen printed pieces. I love these two so much, I've been saving them for something special - and this is it!
Hand painted, with two layers of screen printing



A small hand dyed and screen printed piece (about 7"x10"), seen in my inspiration photo on Virginia's blog. The locust leaves are one of my signature design elements
Over a yard of hand painted, hand dyed, screen printed and collaged fabric!

I'm sure as I'm mailing the envelopes that a little something else will also sneak in.

We’ve all been touched by cancer in some way. However, three years ago the fight against cancer became much more deeply personal for me. My younger sister, Karin, was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 42. 
Karin is an amazing person, and I’m not just saying that because she’s my sister. Wife, mother, friend, scientist/engineer, black belt in Taekwondo, artist, photographer, coach – she is so many things to so many people. She is such a health conscious person, and obviously in good shape, that her diagnosis came as a huge surprise. She handled her diagnosis and treatment with amazing humor and grace – what a wonderful example for all of us.  This past October she had her second surgery, and luckily her prognosis is very good. However, the impact of cancer is so much more vivid to me since I stayed with her just after her first surgery. I want to help help prevent others from having to go through such a struggle, or even worse, and hope you’ll join me in this fight. 

Check out the Foto/Fiber webpage here, and join me February 15 &16, 2012, to help beat cancer!

1 comment:

Virginia A. Spiegel said...

Diane, So glad to have you on the foto/Fiber 2012 team. Your Fiber BONUSES are amazing. As is your sister!