Friday, August 11, 2006

Driving By

Son #2 had a birthday party to attend this evening (a 7th birthday luau!). I couldn't bear the thought of packing 3 boys into the van, driving 25 minutes to Toys'R'Us, withstanding the onslaught of whining there, spending too much for a toy the birthday girl probably already had, then driving 25 minutes home.

Instead I made this.
And it was a big hit! I had wanted to make something in delicate pastels, but it turned out I didn't have enough of those (go figure). Most of these are commercial fabrics I probably bought about 6 years ago. The pocket is a (newer) Laurel Burch fabric, and we bedazzled the birds' eyes. It was fun for me, and fun for my son, who enjoyed dictating what fabric should come next when I was sewing together the strips.

This particular son seems to be fairly popular with the little ladies, so I anticipate that this may be the first of several girlie tote bags I make in the next few months.

3 comments:

Coleen said...

I love it! Perfect girlie gift. we're knitting on monday at panera - can you come? 7 p.m.

Wendy said...

Very cool big-girl gift! Way better than the Toys R Us madness.

I think all the plastics give off a crazy-making fug that makes me go, "$20 for a little wooden Thomas train? And I get to leave almost right now? Okay!"

Deb R said...

What a cool gift! It's gorgeous! That's a lucky little birthday girl!